I only get one lunch a day, which is MY special time to almost forget I have a day job. I like to eat my lunch out in my car where I can have some privacy. I would like to enjoy it and don’t want to eat cold leftovers, which is a problem because all my lunch containers that keep food hot and warm involve a Tupperware bowl in a paper bag. Life exist beyond the paper bag! The weather where I live is usually cold, so finding lunch containers to keep food hot is important to me.
The good news is that there are ALOT of great solutions to help keep your lunch nice and toasty throughout the morning until lunch. The problem is there are A LOT of great solutions. Trying to figuring out what is the best lunch container can be as frustrating as eating cold leftovers.
We went through and reviewed all the top lunch containers that keep food hot and warm and were able to narrow them down to these top five. Enjoy!
MIRA Lunch Food Jar
MIRA Brands Inc is based in Pleasanton, California and specializes in a variety of lifestyle products, including: coffees skin care devices, water bottles and snack containers. Featured here is a 15 oz. vacuum insulated stainless steel food jar that excels in either keeping your food hot or cold. Its unique insulation allows food to stay warm for up to 5 hours. It can also be used to keep items cold for as long as 10 hours. This jar is BPA free, made with no phthalates and has a very sturdy construction.
- Two different colors to choose from, blue or pink.
- 100% BPA Free, ECO friendly design.
- Insulated which keeps foods hot up to 5 hours.
- 15 oz. container, great for small meals or snacks.
- Makes a great container to be used in a child’s lunch box.
- Stainless steel interior design.
- More color options would be nice.
- Great for liquids, not so good for solid foods.
- Lid design could have been sturdier.
Zojirushi Mr. Bento Stainless Steel Lunch Jar **
This steel lunch jar comes with four additional food bowls that fit nicely into the parent jar. A great option if you need an all-around lunch container. This bento style lunch box is built by Zojirushi, a company that specializes in rice cookers, water boilers, bread-makers, home environment systems and stainless vacuum sealed bottles.
The Mr. Bento comes with two non-insulated side bowls, which are ideal for foods that should stay around room temperature. The main bowl is designed to help keep foods hot and is suitable for the main meal. A soup bowl is also included which comes with a special designed lid that helps prevent leaks. All these bowls fit perfectly into the main vacuum insulated container which also helps keeps the food inside either hot or cold.
- Comes with FOUR different bowls. Fantastic all around lunch box which can house a 4 piece meal.
- Uses vacuum insulated technology suitable for hot or cold storage.
- Also comes with a zippered bag.
- Four different colors to choose from.
- Easy to clean, microwave save bowls.
- 4/5 Stars with over 1,200 customer reviews.
- No listed warranty.
- Not all containers 100% leak proof.
- Entire package is heavy.
Thermos Stainless Steel King Food Jar
Thermos is an industry leader in technologies that help keep your foods either hot or cold over an extended period of time. The Thermos trusted brand has been around for over 110 years and in that time has perfected the art of keeping food and drinks well insulated from both the hot and cold.
This food jar is constructed of stainless steel with 16 ounces of storage that is designed to keep food hot up to seven hours. It has an extra wide mouth which makes filling and then consuming food simple. Its durable design is perfect for traveling or even going on a hike.
- Comes in a variety of colors including cranberry, matte black, midnight blue and standard blue
- 16 ounce carrying capacity
- Uses vacuum insulated technologies to keep food hot up to 7 hours.
- 100% BPA Free.
- Has a 4.5 start rating out of 2,284 reviews.
- Comes with a fold-able spoon.
- Not big enough for a full sized lunch.
- Only one compartment to store food.
- Not easy to clean.
Insulated Thermal Lunch Bag
Looking for a cheaper but still viable warm lunch solution? These premium thermal bags are perfect for transferring hot or cold items around. The design ensures these items stay hot up to 3 hours. They are washable, waterproof and fully reusable. These are perfect for lunch on the go. Just make sure you get the bags designated as “lunch bags” or you may end up with a size bigger than expected.
The light design of the bag allows for easy storage. This bag also makes a great grocery shopping bag for either hot or cold items. If you are picking up take out, place the ‘to go’ order in this bag until you get home to ensure it stays nice and toasty. We always carry a couple of these with us in the trunk of our car, we found them useful in many different situations.
- Cheapest solution that works well.
- Keeps food hot up to three hours.
- Amazon best seller.
- 4.5 Stars out of 152 reviews.
- Would work better with a square bottom.
- Can be difficult to carry heavy items with the existing handle.
Vesture Hot Pack-Replacement Microcore Pac for Casserole Carriers
And finally, if you like to think outside the box (or inside), this heating pack is a perfect way to augment an existing insulated travel container. Although designed to be used in a casserole carrier, many people use these inside of their lunch boxes or other food containers to keep lunch warm.
This package is filled with non-toxic liquid which can be heated up in the microwave. Its dimension are 7×10, which should allow it to fit into most coolers or other food containers. FDA approved and has been tested to withstand a ton of pressure. For an 800-900 watt microwave, will take about 4.5 minutes to fully heat.
- A very versatile solution to keep your food warm or hot.
- Will help keep food hot up to about 2 hours. Results may vary depending on situation and where its placed.
- FDA approved.
- Non-toxic liquid design.
- If kept in the microwave too long, can be ruined. Ensure you match the heating time to the power of your microwave. This is by far the biggest complaint for this item.
- Does not stay hot as long as some of the other solutions on this page.
Finding lunch containers that keep food hot and warm is easy, finding the right one that suits your personal needs takes a little more thought. Do you want to keep your food piping hot and not just warm until lunch time? You may have to spend a bit more for good insulated lunch containers to keep food hot vs simple containers that will just keep your lunch warm.